The Who, What, and Where of Ministry
August 21, 2022 Series: Your Ministry in the Church
A. What is ministry?
1. Common perspectives about ministry
a. Vocational ministry
b. Doing good deeds
c. Almost anything!
2. The biblical perspective on ministry
* New Testament Terms:
* letourgia -- temple / religious service
* doulos -- slave / bondservant
* diakonia -- ministry / service
* New Testament examples of diakonia:
* Acts 6:4 -- The ministry of the word
* Acts 6:1 -- the daily serving of food
* Acts 12:25 -- Barnabas and Saul's Mission to jerusalem with relief funds (11:29)
* Acts 21:19 -- Paul's ministry to the Gentiles (also Romans 11:13)
* Romans 12:7 -- "If service, in his serving"
* 2 Corinthians 3:7-9 -- Paul's ministry of the gospel vs. the ministry of the Law
* 2 Corinthians 5:18 -- the ministry of reconciliation (in the gospel)
* 2 Timothy 4:5 -- Timothy needed to fulfill his ministry
* 2 Timothy 4:11 -- Mark was useful to Paul for service
* Hebrews 1:14 -- Angels render service
* Revelation 2:19 Jesus knew the church's service
B. Where do we ministry?
1. To all people as we have opportunity
2. Centered upon the local church
C. Who ministers in the church?
1. All Christians:
* Hebrews 6:10 - For God is not unjust so as to forget your work and the love which you have shown toward His name, in having ministered and in still ministering to the saints.
* 2 Corinthians 9:12–13 - For the ministry of this service is not only fully supplying the needs of the saints, but is also overflowing through many thanksgivings to God. Because of the proof given by this ministry, they will glorify God for your obedience to your confession of the gospel of Christ and for the liberality of your contribution to them and to all,
* 1 Corinthians 12:4–6 - Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit. And there are varieties of ministries, and the same Lord. There are varieties of effects, but the same God who works all things in all persons.
* 1 Corinthians 16:15 - Now I urge you, brethren (you know the household of Stephanas, that they were the first fruits of Achaia, and that they have devoted themselves for ministry to the saints),
2. The whole body of Christ
* Ephesians 4:11-16