Recommendations for Elder and Deacon Candidates
Crossway Bible Church
The Bible speaks of two offices within the church:
- Elder (also called “overseer” and “pastor”; 1 Timothy 3:1; 1 Peter 5:1; Ephesians 4:11)
- Deacon (1 Timothy 3:8; Philippians 1:1)
This form is for you to recommend men to the elders who you think are ready to serve in one of the biblical offices of elder or deacon, or those who should be considered and trained or prepared to take on one of those roles.
Men who serve well in these roles bring blessing to the church by caring for the souls, needs, and ministries of its people. Therefore, the apostles not only insisted upon preaching the gospel and starting churches, but also upon having qualified leadership to care for the church after their departure (Acts 14:23, Titus 1:5). Accordingly, there are clear biblical standards for the qualifications and conduct of such leaders (1 Timothy 3:1-13; Titus 1:5-9; 1 Peter 5:1-4).
The following attributes should characterize an officer at Crossway Bible Church:
- Character: Meeting the qualifications as found in 1 Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:5-9, and the attitudes commanded in 1 Peter 5:1-5.
- Possessing the ability to teach and the ability to refute erroneous teachings
- Agreement with both our Membership Affirmation (required of all members) and also our more extensive What We Teach doctrinal statement
- Alignment with our approach to ministry as laid out in our church’s Philosophy of Ministry
- Commitment: Ability, availability, and eagerness to handle elder responsibilities:
- Regularly attending the Sunday services of the church
- Attending and participating in elders’ meetings
- Carrying out shepherding and discipling ministry within the church
- Teaching and/or leading ministries as needed
- Character qualifications as found in 1 Timothy 3:8-13
- Affirmation of our Membership Affirmation and our Philosophy of Ministry
- Time and availability to serve in the office
- An attitude of humble service and of a desire for unity in the church
To recommend someone for the office of Elder or Deacon, please submit this form.